Sunnies Café Review

Sunday, August 21, 2016


Finally the most awaited Instagram worthy place in town has opened its first branch in Bonifacio High Street Taguig last July 30. So is it a yay or nay? I'm giving you my bias-free and honest food review, so keep reading.

I've been looking forward for the opening of this café. This is one of the babies of the theee IT girls of Manila, the brilliant minds and founder of Sunnies Studios. Namely Georina Wilson, Martine Cajucom, and Bea Soriano. As their sunnies and specs is currently ruling the business industry with the most creative marketing and quality products, I have to say that opening a restaurant is a unique diversity. They're giving it a shot of millenial's basic obsession nowadays, an instagrammable place to chat and dine-in with friends. 


I don't consider myself a certified millenial but I love taking pictures and artsy stuff so I guess that encourages me to try and get a little excited about this café. 


Let's start pretending that I'm good with food and had become a meticulous critique with a marvelous taste. Lol. But I am not! I'm just one of the bunch of ordinary people who cares a lot about the money they're throwing away for a pretty much "good" food to feed on their growling stomach.

So here comes my food review..


It's a warm fine Sunday afternoon when we headed over to BHS and went directly to Sunnies Café. People were lining up outside and waiting for their turn to dine-in. Their staffs were accommodating enough but not really that friendly in nature. We waited for at least 30 minutes and almost give up. I secretly thank those who can't wait any longer and left the restaurant. I think they're really hungry that time (just like me).


Then finally my name was called and we went inside the café, it was really errr -- too noisy. It was literally a busy little space full of people chattering, eating their meals, and sounds of clicking spoon and fork utensils.

We ordered:

Crispy Tacos

They say that this is the bomb. But I'm sorry to disappoint you, it's totally overrated. The homemade tacos is not really good. The plating though was perfect. I think I paid 50% of the price for the decorative artsy food. It's odd. On top of the asada steak and lettuce is a perfectly cooked quail egg. Nothing special, I, myself expected way too much. It was on top of a must-try list. If ever you want to try the crispy tacos, make sure to ask for a Tabasco hot sauce. At least the sauce made me enjoyed eating it a little.




Pot Roast Short Rib

My boyfriend ordered this one. He said that.."I enjoyed the dish. I didn't expect that the shredded meat from the marrow really compliments the mashed potato. It's so flavorful I finished the whole dish for 5 minutes."



Chicken Wings

It's good. Aside from the fact that I love chicken, the wings were really good and well-cooked. I think they boiled them to make them soft, it was easy for me to separate the tender meat from its tiny bones. The garlic cream sauce was fantastic, it tastes sweet with a little hint of sourness, by which I personally like. 



Iced Tea

Just a plain cold iced tea. Not really sure if they put a lot of ice. Sigh.


Avocado Shake

Another plain avocado shake. I don't know why but I can't barely taste the "avocado" flavor on it. It's like, if the standard quantity of avocado that should be used for a one glass of delicious shake is 2, I think they only used 1. That's how it likely turned out for me. 


Funfetti

A creamy tres leches with whipped cream, vanilla boubon ice cream and little sprinkles on top of it. We didn't ordered this one, it was a free dessert as part of their opening promotion. It's delicious and perfectly sweet, but not too much. Its good and the serving was enough for the both of us.



Food Ratings
  • Taste: 7/10
  • Plating: 9/10
  • Serving: 7/10
  • Price: 7/10

Location: 10/10
Ambience: 7/10

Staffs Ratings
  • Friendliness: 8/10
  • Attentive: 7/10
  • Accommodation: 8/10

Overall Rating: 7/10

Frankly speaking, I'm really disappointed on how overrated the Sunnies Café is. Maybe because I've only read the good and positive comments. I don't consider my experience totally bad at all. My opinion are solely my own thoughts, about how the way I see it, my own taste. But it doesn't mean that it's bad. 

Though I said that I care a lot about the money that I spend, but that doesn't mean that I'm kuripot. I'm willing to spend an extra cash if its worth it. The thing is, maybe because I visited the restaurant on its first week, I'm pretty sure that they will still improve. I mean the service was really good, just like what I said, some meals were overrated or maybe it just doesn't match my taste bud.

We spent almost Php1,500 exclusive of the Funfetti since its free.

It's worth to try. But for me, its not the typical resto that I'd like to come back over and over again. 



Love Always, Maria Hazel

2 comments